1] How do I get started in woodworking ?
- by studying the characteristics of the individual tools
- by studying the steps involved in several different type projects
2] What tools should I buy ?
- the table saw is the central tool. almost all functions revolve around it
- you will need a few clamps
- a power sander is good
- just the three items above will get you a long way
3] How do I keep safe ?
- by going over the safe procedure of each individual machine before you begin
- by mentally rehearsing every step of a project , so the plan has a plan , if you will
4] How long will it take to acquire enough skill ?
- It takes several months to feel comfortable with tools.
- be patient and hang in there, skill will develop at its own rate
5] Is there a market for woodworking projects ?
- it is massive
- now you have eBay and Etsy and others at your disposal
- not to mention Google Business Pages, where you can list yourself as a shop for no cost
6] How much does a well equipped wood shop cost ?
- a good shop with all the basics will cost about five to seven thousand dollars
- as above , if you get a table saw , 400ish, a few clamps and a sander, you will have a shop for six or seven hundred dollars
7] In what order should I buy machinery ?
- table saw
- portable circular saw
- clamps , including bar type
- cross cut sled
- router table or shaper
- then there is a very long list of machines. each one is determined by the type of work you do. most shops are oriented towards certain products , and the machines that have specific functions are chosen accordingly
8] Which tools are best ?
- for the most part, the old line of well established woodworking machinery manufacturers are very good.
- there is a huge gap between light duty machinery and industrial duty machines. get the heaviest machine you can afford. the heavier , the more stable and will provide distinctly better results
9] How long do tools last ?
- many years with reasonable care
- in reality woodworking tools are incredibly economical , because the market worth of your work is vast compared to the cost of the equipment
10] Is it ok to buy used tools ?
- hand held power tools that are old , are probably worn out. most of the time, it will not be worth it. you will end up having to get a new tool
- large stationary woodworking machinery lasts for decades. usually it is a good buy. however , once they are several decades old it is unlikely you will find parts. replacing parts on machinery is something that happens frequently